Monday, January 23, 2012

GPS - reliable or not?

The intention behind the GPS Navigating systems is to assist people to find locations on the go without relying on the use of a street directory – saving time as the GPS system shows you how to get to your destination without pulling over to see the next part of the journey…Great invention!!! I love them, I have a Tom Tom that I call “Tommy” (original I know…), and Tommy comes everywhere with me.

BUT…are they always reliable!?!

I was driving a friend home to a new area of the city last night and getting there was fine because she directed me there, getting home on the other hand took a lot longer than it needed to because I relied on Tommy and he let me down… I put my Tommy on and told him to take me home…it was all going well until we were in the midst of the city (which I am not so used to driving in with all the one way streets) and Tommy basically started taking me around and around the same three blocks of town…..not impressed….I then realised that where I was driving had a tunnel underneath me and a bridge over the top of me and I think that Tommy was getting confused – he couldn’t quite pinpoint my location to assist me appropriately. Thankfully I still keep a street directory in my car and I know how to use it =p
I used it until I got away from the multi-levelled position I was in and then put Tommy back into action until I was in a familiar area to complete my journey home.

Although I love my TomTom and think it is such a useful creation and a great advancement in technology, I also hold onto the value in having the skills to use a street directory or map to help me in the situation where technology can not.

1 comment:

  1. Dont worry. Technology knows best. Just do what it tells you.

    ReplyDelete